Monday, January 18, 2010

MINDFULNESS

http://www.etheldrayton-craig.com/


I ponder my Life and compare my blessings to the urgent needs of others who are suffering. I, no doubt, am among the blessed and wealthy by virtue of the quality of Life I enjoy daily – even when I think things aren’t so hot. All pale in comparison when I see the face of abject poverty. This past week I noticed that I did not rush to the grocery store. I was not eager to order any merchandise from catalogs already sporting what is new for spring. I looked upon my simple grapefruit and bowl of oatmeal as a virtual feast. My nutritional supplements became a luxury. The things around the house that I thought needed to be repaired, replaced, or updated seemed to be just fine.

I kept my numerous appointments and I noticed how many meetings were lunches in restaurants or catered. What did not get consumed may have been left for staff – but at the end of the day it would have been discarded.

Yet, how can I ease someone else’s pain? How can I end someone else’s suffering in the world beyond sending contributions in a time of crisis? I am here. Time will go on. Will I forget until the next world crisis how blessed I am in every minute of my Life? What is my lesson?

Dr. Ethel Drayton-Craig

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for reminding us all of how incredibly blessed we are. So often these days we hear the word "entiltment", often times used in the context of how so-n-so feels 'entitled". But I think we all suffer from that state of mind on a unconscious level. So much of what we enjoy in our country is taken for granted, and because of our consumerism habits, no matter how blessed we are or how much stuff we have, we still expect and want more. And not that that's a bad thing, but when we look at our lives through eyes of appreciation, as you did last week, the things we have don't look so bad after all.

    Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete