Monday, March 8, 2010

THE POWER OF GRATITUDE

http://www.etheldrayton-craig.com/


Nothing clears my mind like a nice long leisurely walk. It is one of my favorite things to do. During one of these walks it came to me that when I returned home, I should sit down with a pad of paper and create a list of my gratitudes while I had my afternoon tea. Earlier that morning my meditation was from the Bible verse, “Master, you handed over to me five talents; see, I have made five more talents.” (Matt 25:20)


One of the tools I use with clients is such an exercise in gratitude because it is a powerful way to arrive at contentment and open the way for more positive fruits. During the walk, I had the revelation that we can lift our spirits by taking stock and listing on paper, with gratitude, what has been accomplished with projects on which we are working. One can also see where one has grown talents in reviewing this list.

I came home and started a list of full sentences to itemize each gratitude, beginning with decisions I made regarding my business to the completion of key projects. It started with four items and then the thoughts kept coming. In one sitting I filled up seven single-sided pages with 68 things for which I am grateful, focusing directly or indirectly on my business over the past seven months. Amazing.

It is one thing to daily or frequently give thanks for something. However, this exercise is powerful because when people feel that nothing is taking place and their desired results are not visible yet, they can see the distance they have travelled since they began the project(s), by this list.

For those of you who are in transition – who are seeking a new endeavor, this can add a moment of uplift and add to your enthusiasm in the face of doubt or resignation about a desired outcome. This is especially useful for someone seeking employment that has been unobtainable. The situation can make you feel downtrodden, hopeless, and anxious. Assessing with gratitude, the minor accomplishments you have made within the job hunting process and the talents that you have grown can be encouraging.

A suggestion I have for you is to take your talents and give of yourself, for free, if necessary. While you are seeking employment, volunteer some hours or days for an organization that can use your skills. I have given much of my time and talents to organizations, as well as in support of various projects led by others. It has been personally fulfilling to do this and it has opened a world of resources to me over the years. What better way to demonstrate your abilities and talents than by sharing them freely with others while you are waiting for your prayers and desires to be fulfilled?

Sharing one’s talents can be so rewarding because therein may lie your blessing for something to be added to your Life.

Dr. Ethel Drayton-Craig

1 comment:

  1. It's amazing how timely I always find your newsletter and your blog. I never learned to swim as a kid and don't know what scared me more--possibily drowning or wetting my hair (not unusual for those of us with kinky hair). But determined, at 71, to be competent in the water. I'm taking lessons, growing in confidence and finding that indeed we are never too old to take on new challenges while also having fun.
    Your insight into volunteering was echoed by 2 women on a panel of female Trailblazers honored at the University of Akron (Ohio) last week. Banker, Louise Gissendaner and workforce diversity executive, TyKiah Wright (www.wrightchoice.org)both cited non profit organizations as places always grateful for volunteers. These successful females also made the point that in addition to doing good, volunteering is a a chance to network and quite often leads to paid employment.
    So, thanks, Ethel, for always being topical AND inspiring. Melba Tolliver

    ReplyDelete