Monday, May 10, 2010

WHEN THE BEST THING TO DO IS NOTHING

http://www.etheldrayton-craig.com/



Every so often I notice that I run into an extended period where things break and require repair – with altered daily routines that invariably throw me off-track. There are complications with business transactions, contracts, and accounts during this time period and there are external delays for promised goods, services, or whatever is needed.

Over the past two weeks, I have experienced several of these in addition to the revelation that an out-of-state relative was ill, but uncooperative to any intervention and assistance from others. While action for him was required, no action could be taken except speculative communication by and among extended family members scattered about various states.


It felt that every avenue was blocked to me during this time period. While necessary steps to get things repaired were underway, it was going to take a week. Projects were on hold because necessary input from others was not forthcoming. There were two disappointments with business endeavors, and so on. I even began to notice how frequently my path was blocked while driving during this period. Frequently, road repairs required detours that added to my drive time. I noticed that although I was driving in a relaxed manner and not rushing, a vehicle would turn into the road just before me and go at a much slower pace. I understood, with a smile on my face.

I have been here before. It is frustrating to say the least. There were moments during this time that I expressed my anger, as well. There were moments of sadness at the impact some of these events had, and there was quiet laughter at the spectacle of the whole thing – because I understood. Most of all, there was a lot of prayer, quiet time, a declaration that God was working things out in His own time, and there was the morning last week that I realized, “The best thing I can do today is nothing about any of these things: absolutely nothing.”

I did not attempt to do any business or solve any problems, and I let others handle what they needed to handle. I took a mental vacation and spent the day outdoors. I planted flowers and walked in the park. In the evening, I went to the mall to browse, came home and watched television, then went to bed early. Each day since then I took a break from doing business projects and filled my days with relaxing activities. Already, three things have resolved themselves.

Sometimes the best thing you can do is nothing.


© Dr. Drayton-Craig, 2010

1 comment:

  1. ethel,
    a dear friend of mine once told me that prayer is you talking TO God , but meditation is sitting still and making time for God to talk To you!Somtime doing nothing can be amazing!michael perry

    ReplyDelete